The story of Pine Lodge began with the post World War II migration of Russian people from Europe, Persia (now Iran) and China to Brisbane. Initially the focal point for Russian people in Brisbane was the Russian Orthodox Church of St Nicholas built in 1926 and located in Vulture Street at Woolloongabba.
As the Russian community grew, a second church, St Seraphim’s was built in Hawthorne Street Woolloongabba, and the third dedicated to the Blessed Virgin of Vladimir was constructed in Rocklea. It is the land surrounding the church of the Blessed Virgin of Vladimir that became the area upon which Pine Lodge, Home for the Aged was built.
The idea to build a home for the aged emerged around 1964 as some members of the Russian community recognised that their ageing members may need assistance and care in the near future. With this in mind the Steering Committee to investigate the feasibility of building a home for the aged was formed.
A fundraising strategy was put in place, and with support of many members of the Russian community, blessing and laying of the foundation stone of Pine Lodge took place in June 1969. Building started and first residents moved in at the end of December 1969. The devastating flood in 1974 severely damaged Pine Lodge. Repairs and refurbishment were carried out and Residents moved back to Pine Lodge.
With time however, the facilities needed to be upgraded to meet the changing needs of the community, and of the ageing Russian community. After careful consideration, the Russian Benevolent Association for Homes for the Aged decided to rebuild Pine Lodge in 1991.
Now a modern comfortable home that started from humble beginnings, provides care not only for older members of the Russian community, but also older people from a number of non-English speaking countries who need assistance.