Skip to Content
My Community Directory

We Found You!!

We have located you in the region.

Navigate to the view diary button to switch to a diary at this location.

You can change directories at any time by clicking on the Choose a Region button

All Resources > Rooming House Program


The Rooming House Program is a program to provide long-term low-cost accommodation, funded through the Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Housing and Community Building and administered by community housing groups. Accommodation is available to single people and couples without children who satisfy the Office's public housing eligibility criteria. To find out which community housing groups administer rooming houses, please visit the Department of Health and Human Services, Housing.

The Department of Health and Human Services, Housing is working with Consumer Affairs Victoria to regulate and improve conditions in Victorias private rooming house market and to create more not-for-profit rooming house accommodation. Residents of a rooming or boarding house have an individual agreement with their rooming house owner/manager and only have exclusive possession to their room with a right to shared access to communal facilities, such as kitchens, bathrooms, laundries and living areas. Rooming houses must be registered with the local council.


Some clients on low incomes may be eligible for other forms of accommodation and housing assistance from various Office of Housing Schemes.

Need help using the website?

For help on how to use this website click on the Get Help button.

If you are trying to contact an organisation listed here please use the methods supplied by the organisation.

Get Help Send an email enquiry to the My Community Directory support team or search the knowledge base about this website. Note that this will open in a new window